SaltStick Caps have been formulated to provide electrolytes to help minimize heat stress and muscle cramping due to perspiration, in a quantity and form which your body can absorb. This product is ideal for athletes, outdoor workers or for use in hot conditions. Two SaltStick Caps in an hour equate to 430 mg sodium, 126 mg potassium, 44 mg calcium, and 22 mg magnesium per hour, which is the ideal ratio to keep you moving.
- Each capsule contains 215mg sodium, 63mg potassium, 22mg calcium, 11mg magnesium, and 100 IU Vitamin D to help the body absorb and utilize calcium
- Formulated to closely resemble the electrolyte profile lost during activity: sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium
- Also great for effective rehydration during international travel, hiking, and effects of alcohol and unfamiliar foods
- No herbal, trace, or questionable components added
- Gluten-free, Soy-free, Nut-free, No sweeteners, or high fructose corn syrup
- Vegetable-based capsule composition with Bio-available active ingredients
Why Choose SaltStick Caps?
SaltStick Caps have been formulated to provide electrolytes to help minimize heat stress and muscle cramping due to perspiration, in a quantity and form which your body can absorb. This product is ideal for athletes, outdoor workers or for use in hot conditions. Two SaltStick Caps in an hour equate to 430 mg sodium, 126 mg potassium, 44 mg calcium, and 22 mg magnesium per hour, which is the ideal ratio to keep you moving. Learn more in these key sections below:
- Clean & Simple Ingredients — get the full list of ingredients in SaltStick Caps and learn how SaltStick Electrolytes are manufactured and tested.
- Clear Competitive Advantage — compare SaltStick Electrolytes to your sweat loss and against competing products and learn why world-champion athletes choose SaltStick for electrolyte replacement.
- Detailed Usage Guide — learn how the pros use SaltStick Caps for a wide variety of sports, and get tips on using Caps as a daily supplement or for low-sodium conditions.
- Answers to Your FAQ — the most frequently asked questions about SaltStick Caps. Topics include product usage, safety, expiration and warranty.
- Backed by Research —learn the science behind SaltStick Electrolytes in our library of helpful research and articles.
Clean & Simple Ingredients
Nearly every lot of SaltStick is independently tested for banned substances. None of our competitors can say that. SaltStick Electrolytes are made in the USA at an FDA-inspected cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) facility. Learn more about our manufacturing and safety standards and our routine banned substance and drug testing.
SaltStick Caps ingredients: Sodium chloride, Potassium citrate, Hypromellose, Potassium chloride, Calcium citrate, Calcium gluconate, Magnesium citrate, Magnesium gluconate, Magnesium stearate, Stearic acid, and Vitamin D3
All ingredients in SaltStick Caps are clearly labeled on the bottle.
Detailed Usage Guide
As a general guideline, athletes should consume one SaltStick capsule every 30-60 minutes during any land-based activity (bike/run) for the duration of the activity. In hot conditions, extreme humidity, or for larger athletes, a greater number of capsules may be needed to maintain safe electrolyte levels. The maximum number of SaltStick Caps recommended per day is 10, although athletes in extreme conditions and longer events may find it necessary to exceed this number. It is strongly recommended to test your planned electrolyte protocol in training several times before race day.
1. How will SaltStick Capsules help me as an athlete?
Five electrolytes in particular play a pivotal role in maintaining normal human muscle function: sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and chloride. A shortage of any of these electrolytes will affect athletic performance through a range a subtle to serious side effects. Sweat typically has about 1000 mg sodium/liter, a typical sports drink has 440 mg sodium/liter. If, during the course of training, you ingest nothing but sports drinks (or worse, water), you will become hyponatremic (low sodium) at some point. Many sports drinks also do not address any form of supplementation of the other key electrolytes, potentially causing yet further cramping and muscle issues. It is in the athlete’s best interest to ensure that replacement of the full spectrum of electrolytes is replaced, and in a form and quantity the body can absorb, such as that provided conveniently in a SaltStick Capsule. For more information: Salt Science.
2. What is the proper use of SaltStick Capsules? When should I take SaltStick Caps?
The basic idea is to keep your supplementation simple and effective, so you have one less thing to worry about on race day, and you can focus on the athletic event rather than on surviving your nutrition plan. As a general guideline, athletes should consume one SaltStick capsule every 30-60 minutes or one SaltStick Caps Plus every 20-60 minutes during any land-based activity (bike/run) for the duration of the activity. Pre-loading with the product can be helpful as well, and including electrolytes in recovery nutrition can be important as well. For more details and suggestions, visit Salt Science.
3. Can I mix SaltStick Caps & SaltStick Caps Plus together?
Yes. This can be helpful if you choose to moderate your caffeine intake, for example switching to the caffeine-containing Caps Plus towards the end of an event or for overnight events. It is worth reminding you of the importance of testing one’s electrolyte replacement strategy in training, prior to race day.
4. Is it ok to take the capsules with a sport drink? How should I take SaltStick Caps?
SaltStick can be consumed in the most convenient method for you. You many take a capsule with water or a sports drink, or open the capsule up into your water or sports drink. For greater convenience, you may also consider using SaltStick Elixalyte™, a liquid concentrate where one serving (5 mL) approximately equals the electrolytes in one capsule of SaltStick Caps. Your body will still need re-hydration over time, so water or a sports drink should be a part of your overall nutrition plan. If you don’t re-hydrate and just take SaltStick Caps, you will then have excess electrolytes and be dehydrated, which can be a dangerous situation if taken to extremes. The key is to balance out your loss of both fluid and electrolytes and some combination of products will likely serve you best, and you’ll have to figure out what works for you personally. For more ideas of how to use the product, visit SaltStick Usage Guide.
5. Is it ok to swallow the capsules without any liquid?
Yes, provided you feel comfortable doing so without introducing a choking hazard. Most people find it helpful to wash the capsule down with some fluid.
6. Can I open the capsules and pour the powder into water or a sports drink?
Sure thing, you can mix the regular SaltStick caps with water or a sports drink. For greater convenience, you may also consider using SaltStick Elixalyte™, a liquid concentrate where one serving (5 mL) approximately equals the electrolytes in one capsule of SaltStick Caps. Read more here: SaltStick Caps Usage Guide. You will find some small amount of material that’s insoluble in water, harmless and just shake the bottle to mix, but it’s unimportant.
7. Can I chew or open the capsule in my mouth?
Yes. It will taste salty and the contents will arrive at your stomach more quickly, which could cause nausea or upset stomach, but there is no particular safety hazard in doing so. In fact, if you desire rapid delivery of the electrolytes, opening the capsule inside your mouth and leaving the contents under the tongue for a period of time appears to be helpful in more rapid delivery of the electrolytes.
8. How long does it take for the capsules to open in my stomach?
The capsules are tested to open within the stomach acidic environment within 15 minutes, but most users indicate that symptoms like cramping can disappear within about 5 minutes of taking the capsule.
9. How should I store the capsules?
Capsules must be kept dry, and are best stored in a cool environment to ensure the contents remain as described on the product label.
Have peace of mind knowing that your order will arrive original factory sealed packaging. That means that you'll have the full force of the manufacturer's warranty to protect your purchase.
Fast and Free Shipping
You're already purchasing the item. Why pay additional for shipping, especially slow shipping? We get your order shipped out and delivered to your doorstep as quickly as possible.
We are committed to making sure that you leave this transaction satisfied. That means having access to real people that get your questions and concerns answered quickly. Give us a shot and we will make sure that you will look to us again!